No two storage facilities are created equally, and finding the right fit for your personal belongings can take some time. Because you are entrusting your valuables to the care of a third-party company, it is a good idea to run through a checklist of features to ensure that you are comfortable with your choice—and to find the best value for your dollar.
- Step 1: Use storage.com to search available storage facilities and units near you. By accessing a comprehensive list of storage units and using that as a platform for learning more, you can considerably cut down on your search time.
- Step 2: Choose what type of facility you want. Do you want an indoor or outdoor storage unit? Is it important to be able to back your truck right up to the door to unload, or are you willing to transfer your belongings via a trolley? What about features like climate control and all-hours access? How important is video or on-site security? If possible, make a list of your ideal storage facility features and try to find one that matches your must-haves.
- Step 3: Determine how much space you need. The number one factor that will influence the cost of your storage unit is what size you will need. Try to figure out the square footage (taking into account stackability) you will need not only for your belongings right now, but what you might also need in the future. This will save you from having to move to a new storage unit later.
- Step 4: Find a convenient location. If you want to be able to access your storage unit quickly and easily, choose one near your home or place of employment. If you are willing to drive further out, you may be able to save on storage facility costs.
- Step 5: Talk to the manager and/or staff. One of the best ways to know for sure if you will be happy with a storage facility is by talking with the staff. Ask questions and gauge their responses. See for yourself if they put customer service high on the list of priorities. If you feel comfortable with the people who run the facility, you will feel much better about the safety of your personal effects in the long run.
Once you make your self storage facility choice, you will also want to consider additional features. Storage unit insurance can be a great way to keep your items safe for the long term. Choosing a secure storage unit lock can also provide peace of mind. You might also want to find a facility that offers moving truck rental and or free service. These small features can make a big difference in the end.
What kinds of things do you look for in a storage facility? If you are choosing between a few great choices, what additional services will entice you to make your final decision?